Liverpool have announced they are abandoning current plans to redevelop Anfield and have instead decided on a more ambitious plan to increase the stadium’s capacity to over 60,000.
Liverpool to Increase Anfield Capacity
Current Plan Scrapped
The club had previously planned to redevelop the Anfield Road end and add an extra 4,000 seats. That would increase the ground’s capacity to over 58,000.
However, Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, announced on Thursday they were to abandon such plans and that, “ambitious new plans are under active consideration.”
Outline planning permission for the previous project is due to expire next month. The club will now allow the permission to lapse and will submit a new permission application for the larger project in due course.
Liverpool chief operating officer Andy Hughes said, “The progress that has been made during ongoing feasibility studies has resulted in us being in a position to allow the outline planning permission to lapse.
“We are committed to working with local residents, planning officials and others as we now focus on the detail behind any proposed redevelopment for Anfield Road. Throughout this process, we have been clear that our objective is to find the best possible solution for Anfield Road and that remains the case.”
Anfield’s last renovation came in 2016 and saw capacity increase by 9,000. This boon has had a positive impact on the club’s corporate and matchday income.
That project caused many local residents to become angry at the lengthy and controversial rebuild. In a statement on Thursday Liverpool said they were, “committed to engaging with the local community and other key stakeholders while pursuing a vision in keeping with the club’s aspirations.”
The club will have to overcome transport infrastructure issues as the Anfield area is continuing to undergo much-needed regeneration. More details to follow in due course.
Embed from Getty Images